There are many benefits of quitting smoking, and you will begin to feel the benefits of quitting straight away as your body repairs itself.
Depending on the number of cigarettes you smoke, typical benefits of stopping are:
- After 12 hours almost all of the nicotine is out of your system.
- After 24 hours the level of carbon monoxide in your blood has dropped dramatically. You now have more oxygen in your bloodstream.
- After 5 days most nicotine by-products have gone.
- Within days your sense of taste and smell improves.
- Within a month your blood pressure decreases and your immune system begins to show signs of recovery.
- Within 2 months your lungs will no longer be producing extra phlegm caused by smoking.
- After 12 months your increased risk of dying from heart disease is half that of a continuing smoker.
- Stopping smoking reduces the incidence and progression of lung disease including chronic bronchitis and emphysema.
- After 10 years of stopping your risk of lung cancer is less than half that of a continuing smoker and continues to decline (provided the disease is not already present).
- After 15 years your risk of heart attack and stroke is almost the same as that of a person who has never smoked.
Finding your own strategy for quitting is important. Different methods suit different people, so it is important to choose a quitting method you feel comfortable with and suits your lifestyle. Once you’ve found the quitting strategy that best suits you, you’ll feel more in control of your quitting attempt.
There are many resources and products available to assist you in quitting. The Australian Government Website lists some great methods such as; Gums and Patches, Mobile Applications, Contacting the Quitline and even finding a ‘Quit Coach’.
It is important to remember that quitting is a very difficult process and most smokers do not succeed on their first attempt – It may take several attempts before you quit for good. Don’t give up!
Head into your local Nova Pharmacy and have a chat to one of our friendly pharmacists about which products or methods are best for you on your journey towards quitting for good.